deliver the power of the Internet with your editorial
The real strength of Linear Publishing is in "Web-enabling" your editorial. This means that with little or no effort you can add features to an editorial item which take unique advantage of the Internet. Pictured to the right is a compilation of the items you can have appear with any piece of editorial. Your readers will see your editorial as portals to other interactive resources.
- Date and Time: the staple of content, but yours will match the look and feel of your site.
- Section Sub Menu: when viewing an editorial item, Linear Publishing can automatically insert a mini-section menu in the upper right. In addition to linking to the other editorial items in this section, the mini-menu will include a link to recent articles from this section of your publication. The resulting editorial will list all editorial items from this section sorted by date in a descending order.
- Editorial Extras: you can have a window in the directory which accompanies a particular editorial piece which allows readers to comment on the editorial item, e-mail a link to the editorial item to a friend and write a letter to the editor.
- Related Editorial: Linear Publishing can automatically insert a list of "threaded" editorial items from the current or past issues. Each item will list the issue date, the title and include a link to the item. If there are more than five related items, the list will include a link to "more". The resulting editorial will list all editorial items with this thread sorted by date in a descending order.
- Editorial Media: attach up to 4 audio and video files to an editorial item. Each link will show the size and format of the file. When clicked, a small window pops open and presents the media file.
- Mini-Calendar: you can have a mini-calendar appear at the top of any page. The calendar will have links to your calendar. Dates with events will have active links while dates without events will remain dormant. Use the forward arrow to see other calendar months with active links as well.
- Site Search: you can have a window in the directory allowing your visitors to search different portions of your site. They can search editorial, classifieds, directories and companies.
- Page Links: quickly and easily create up to 4 Internet links which will appear with either an editorial item. This is a great tool for referencing related sites.
- System and/or Section Links: automatically schedule a group of Internet links to appear with editorial by section. Your sports stories can feature links to espn.com, nfl.com, etc.
- Calendar Picks: you can have a window in the directory featuring a brief description and link to your calendar picks. The listing rotates between however many calendar events you have designated as "pick" events. This is a simple tool that lets the public know you have a dynamic calendar!
- Web Users: you can have a window in the directory featuring a list of up to 10 client Web sites within your site. Believe it or not, this list rotates also! Each time the member Web sites will move up one so that if you host 100 sites - they'll all eventually be seen. At the bottom of this table is a link to the form to allow people to sign up to get their own Web information on your site.
- Legend: include a legend listing all the features your Web site provides to community participants. Each legend item links to a full description of the capabilities for that feature.
- Tombstone Ads: designate the number of tombstone ads you would like to have appear and they will rotate randomly. If you have 10 tombstones scheduled to appear on a page, but only three at a time, all will eventually be seen. The sizes can vary to keep your directory interesting. Tombstones can be easily linked off-site, or to client pages within your site, to your own information (directories, etc.) or with no link at all! Best of all, tombstones and banners can be targeted to editorial sections.
- Weather: easily include the current weather on any page of your site.
- Net Search: you can have an Internet search engine right on your site. Web visitors will have full access to the Internet with your site as their starting point.
- Portal Content: using Linear Publishing's predefined portal content, easily call links to national and international current information; or you can get ambitious and create your own portal information sources.
- Display Ads: using Linear Publishing's Print Ad Converter, you can easily create links to original print ads from your publication. Like tombstone ads, you can target these display ads based on editorial sections. When clicked, these small ads will open the original print display ad.
- Polls and Quizzes: call forth a quiz or poll (if your quiz has a correct answer indicated it is a quiz;, otherwise it is a poll). The quiz will appear in the directory with up to 4 potential answers. When a vistor selects an answer, the current results pop open in a new window. Visitors may only take your quiz/poll once per visit.
- Custom Inclusions: drop in your own HTML tables or visuals. This is a great tool for listing email addresses, creating permanent tombstone ads (junior sponsors) and any other Internet solution you might imagine.
- Breaking: you can have a window in the directory listing any breaking editorial items. If you have an item for your next issue, but the news is too important to wait...mark the editorial as "breaking" and it will appear in this window with links directly to the item. Tomorrow's news today!